Forts
null

Ali Masjid Fort

Shirone Ali Masjid Fort is situated on a high location within the Khyber Pass in Pakistan. It was first constructed under Dost Muhammad Khan. The fort is located beside Ali Masjid. The fort is located above the narrowest point of the pass. The fort has also been a location of a variety of different conflicts between Afghan and British forces during the 19th century.

null

Altit Fort

The name of the fort translates to “this side down.” It is located a few kilometers away from Karimabad, in Hunza, Gilgit-Baltistan. The fort has recently been restored by the Aga Khan Trust for Cultural Historic Cities Support Programme. Different parts of the fort were built at different points in time and some of these date back more than a thousand years. Its initial purpose was to be used as a palace for the rulers of Hunza, but after the addition of the watchtower, it was turned into a fort and used as one. The previous purpose is reflected in a room on the second level, with houses an earthen space for resting flanked by four columns, where official receptions used to take place.

null

Attock Fort

Attock Fort or commonly known as Attock Qila is situated in Attock, Punjab Region, Pakistan. It’s just 80 kilometers away from Islamabad. Attock Fort was built at Attock Khurd during the reign of Akbar the Great in 1583. It is the almost 500-year-old fort that was built to protect the passage of the River Indus and the Attock Fort played a vital role in Afghan-Sikh Wars during the Battle of Attock.

null

Baghsar Fort

Baghsar Fort is an ancient fort built in Samahni Valley near Bhimber, Pakistan, close to a place known as Baghsar. The fort was constructed by Mughal rulers. It is currently closed to visitors, due to it being right beside the line of control between Pakistan and India.

null

Bala Hissar Fort

Locally known as Qila Bala Hissar, the name of the fort translates to “High Fort” and has its origins in Dari Persian. It remains one of the most historically relevant places in Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. The fort has been serving as the headquarters of the Frontier Corps since 1949. However, the provincial assembly has passed a resolution in 2014, wanting to make the fort a tourism point instead. This has yet to happen. Historically, the fort was used as the winter capital of the Afghan Durrani Empire, while Kabul remained the summer one.

null

Baltit Fort

Baltit Fort is located in Hunza as well and is newer than Altit. While Altit was the old fort used by the Mirs, they moved to Baltit soon after its construction. It is claimed to date back 700 years and owes most of its splendor to the Tibetan princess who married the local prince in the 16th Century and brought along with herself her 500 maids, masons, and craftsmen to look after the new home, changing its face and foundation forever in the process. The fort has been honored with the Award of Excellence in the UNESCO 2004 Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation. The first floor of Baltit fort contains guard’s rooms, a dungeon, and a private meeting room, as well as the kitchen which still houses some of the utensils used in the times of the rulers. The second floor consists of an open terrace, and the main attraction is the royal throne under a wooden canopy. Bay windows afford an incredible view of the valley below. On the third floor, there is a small mosque.

null

Bakhar Fort

It is a small island in the River Indus located between the towns of Sukkur and Rohri. The island which is irregular in shape is about 2 furlong broad in the North-South directions and 4 furlongs long in the East-West directions. The entire island falls within the Fort as the fortification wall runs on the outer periphery of the island touching the Indus water around.

null

Bijnot Fort

Bijnot Fort is a ruined fortress located in Bahawalpur District of Punjab, Pakistan, 23 kilometers west of the Indo-Pakistani border in the Cholistan Desert. The fort was founded by Khair Panwar Rajputs, who also ruled at the forts of Khairpur and Khairgarh. It was first destroyed by the Talpurs during their conquest from Panwars and secondly, it was destroyed during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.

null

Chakdara Fort

Chakdara is a town in the Lower Dir District of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan. Located north of Malakand near the confluence of the Swat River with the Panjkora River, in a commanding position near the entrance to Swat District and at the entrance to Lower Dir. It is about 130 km from Peshawar and 40 km away from Mingora.

null

Chitral Fort

The Chitral Fort is a fortification in Chitral town, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. The fort is situated on the banks of the Chitral River. The fort has a commanding position on the river and is believed to have been built in 1774 during the reign of Mohtaram Shah Katur II and restored in 1911 by His Highness Sir Shuja ul-Mulk. The compound used to house the barracks of the guards of Mehtar of Chitral. The fort was declared as the personal property of the last ruler of Chitral following the merger of Chitral State in 1969. It is now occupied by the current ceremonial Mehtar, Fateh-ul-Mulk Ali Nasir who has renovated the old Darbar Hall and staterooms following damage sustained during the earthquake of 2015.

null

Darbar Mahal

Darbar Mahal is one of the masterpieces of that era, standing tall as a testimony to the sagacity and prosperity of the Abbasi rulers. According to the archaeologists, the architectural style of Darbar Mahal cleverly blended both local and foreign influence, particularly that of Delhi, Mughal, Sikh, and even Europe. History shows that Bahawalpur emerged as the Abbasi’s new royal capital and the heart of Abbasi’s architecture in India after Derawar after few palaces including the Darbar Mahal were constructed in Bahawalpur, which is why it is often known as the “Princely State” in the local culture. Darbar Mahal was built by Nawab Bahawal Khan (V) in 1904. Originally conceived as the “Bhawal Garh”; the palace was completed in 1905 and was dedicated to one of the wives of the Nawab.

null

Derawar Fort

Derawar Fort was first built in the 9th century under the kingship of Rai Jajja Bhati, a Hindu Rajput from Jaisalmer in India’s Rajasthan state. The fort was initially known as Dera Rawal and later referred to as Dera Rawar, which with the passage of time came to be pronounced Derawar, its present name. In the 18th century, the fort was taken over by Muslim Nawabs of Bahawalpur from the Shahotra tribe. This historically significant fort presents an enormous and impressive structure in the heart of the Cholistan desert.

null

Drosh Fort

In this stage Kohkan Baig let Umara Khan of Jandal occupy Drosh fort and moved on to the siege of Chitral Fort along with Sher Afzal and Jondol forces. From 1892 to 1932 there was no strong governor of Drosh. In 1932, Mehtar Shuja UL Mulk appointed his son Shahzada Hissam UL Mulk as governor of Drosh. He was a very strong governor with full power. He remained governor until 1969. In 1969, the Chitral state was merged with Pakistan.

null

Faiz Mahal

This majestic remains of the Talpur Dynasty of Khairpur is the Faiz Mahal. It is a grand architectural masterpiece. The unique traditional culture and traditional work of art seem to have swept over the real splendor. The details on the walls of the palace are exquisitely designed, exhibiting the fine art of the people of the past era. Besides, there are other palaces, tomb sites in Kot Diji and the surrounding areas.

null

Fort Abbas

Fort Abbas, formerly Pholra, is a town and a tehsil in Bahawalnagar District in the Cholistan Desert of Punjab, Pakistan. It is situated south of Haroonabad, near Faqirwali, on the border of Pakistan and India. Fort Abbas is a historical city and has strategic importance during the Nawab of Bahawalpur’s rule. It was known as Pholra until it was renamed in 1927 by Nawab Sir Sadiq, who named it on his eldest son, Muhammad Abbas.

null

Fort Munro

Fort Munro or also known as Tuman Leghari is a hill station, located at a height of 6,470 feet above sea level in Dera Ghazi Khan, Punjab, Pakistan. The town was founded by Robert Groves Sandeman in the later part of the 19th century and named Fort Munro after Colonel A. A. Munro who was commissioner of the Derajat Division. It attracts a number of tourists every year, particularly those who wish to escape from the hot plains of southern Punjab to enjoy mild and pleasant weather for a day or two. Fort Munro is a cool resort in summer for the people living in south Punjab.

null

Gulzar Palace

Gulzar Palace is located in Bahawalpur, Pakistan. Its construction ended in 1875 on neoclassical lines. It belonged to the Nawab of Bahawalpur princely state. There are different opinions regarding the purpose of construction. Few people are of the opinion that Nawab Sadiq Muhammad IV built the palace for his wife. The palace is open for the public who can visit and admire its architecture. Nur mahal currently is in the ownership of the Pakistan Army and is also used as a state guest house for hosting state durbars and meetings with the foreign delegations. The construction of the palace was completed in 1875 at a cost of Rs 1.2 million. It covers an area of 44,600 square feet. There are 32 rooms including 14 in the basement, 6 verandas, and 5 domes.

null

Handyside Fort

Handyside Fort is a historical fort located in Kohat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which dates from the era of British colonial rule. The fort was built in the British colonial era by the British Indian Army. The fort is named after the Frontier Constabulary combatant who was killed fighting the rebels in 1926. The current commander is Colonel Adnan. The fort was believed to have been built on the hilltop where Alexander the Great camped with his army before marching towards the north. The fort now serves as the headquarters of the IXth division of the Pakistan Army.

null

Hiran Minar

Hiran Minar is a hunting retreat built by Emperor Jahangir to the northwest of Lahore. It was constructed in memory of an antelope named Mansraj that was beloved by the emperor. The memorial tower stands 30 meters high and is 10 meters wide at its base. Around the perimeter are 214 holes that are believed to have been used as supports for the severed heads of animal trophies taken by the emperor. This form and function are similar to an earlier tower, also known as Hiram Minar, built at Fatepur Sikri. It also resembles the Nim Serai Minar at Malda, whose projections may have been used in a similar manner to display the captured heads of local rebels.

null

Islam Garh Fort

This is situated deep in the desert near the Indian Border. It is brickwork with high and sloping walls. Till 1971 due to the availability of water, human settlement existed. It was built by Rawal Bhim in 1608 and was called ‘Bhimwar’. It was captured in 1766 by Ikhtiyar Khan and renamed Islamgarh. It is a square fort with a different number of bastions on each side i.e. five on the north, eight on the east, three each on the south and west. A small mosque is found in the eastern half of the fort. It also had a double-ringed well.

null

Jam Garh Fort

It is a lovely square burnt-brick structure that rose to 114 feet and was built by Jam Khan Marufani in 1788. Now the surviving walls rise to 28 feet, strengthened by bastions in all corners. A 9 feet wide entrance is provided by the eastern wall.

null

Jamrud Fort

About 18km east of Peshawar is Jamrud Fort. Constructed by Hari Singh Nalwa, the commanding officer of maharajah Ranjit Singh’s regular army popularly titled the fortress where it has a constructor and founding father the Sikh commanding officer Hari Singh Nalwa took his last breath. It was attester to several fights between the Afghani and the Sikhs during the last-mentioned conquering and principle of the state in the early 19th century.

null

Kafir Kot Fort

Kafir Kot is ancient ruins of Hindu temples located in Dera Ismail Khan District, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, near the cities of Mianwali and Kundian, in Punjab, Pakistan. Kafir Kot consists of the ruins of 5 temples, and the ruins of a large fort protecting the site. Kafir Kot is often referred to as “Northern Kafir Kot,” with the “Southern Kafir Kot” located in the city of Bilot, 35 kilometers to the south.

null

Kalam Darchi Fort

Kalam darchi fort reminds the colonial architecture of the region. This fort was named after a naked saint and was built by a British soldier during 1932-33 to cheek the invasion and inflow of people from China and the USSR through the Wakan corridor. It remained the abode of Gilgit scouts, NLI, and the Pakistan army and underwent metamorphic changes during these periods. It has been restored and maintained by the Pak army on various occasions and was once training the school of the Pak army. This fort has almost 60 rooms for various uses like dormitories, storage, service rooms, lavatories, and open spaces. The outer fortified wall has a thickness of 3-4 feet and constructed of stone with lime mortar. This squares type has four watchtowers on each corner. The average height of the fortified wall is 20 feet and 10 feet addition of watchtower on each corner. For security purposes, only one door has been placed and the door thickness is 9″ and was fabricated instill.

null

Kalan Kot Fort

Located on Makli Hills on the south of the Archaeological campus at a distance of about five miles are the extensive remains of a ruined fort once known as “Kalan Kot” or Tughlaqabad. This fort, according to Tarikh-i-Masumi, is said to have been constructed by Mirza Jani Baig somewhere in the last quarter of 16th century A.D. on the site of an earlier fort built by Jam Taghur or Taghlik on the site of a still earlier Hindu Fort. Mirza Jani Baig, while fighting with Emperor Akbar’s troops under Khan Khanan, wrote to his father payndah Baig and his son Abul Fateh who were at Thatta, to construct a fort as a place of refuge, should be abandoned to its fate and they should he be compelled to flee before the enemy.

null

Kalat Fort

Kalat Fort is one of the oldest forts of Pakistan located in the Kalat District, Balochistan, Pakistan. Kalat Fort or commonly known as Merri Kalat was conquered by the Balochs and later it becomes the property of the Khan of Kalat.

null

Karjai Fort

Karjai Fort is located in Khuiratta built by Mughal Emperors. It is a very beautiful place for tourists.

null

Katas Raj Temple

Katas Raj is located near the interchange for the town of Kallar Kahar off the M2 Motorway which links Islamabad to Lahore. The complex is located alongside the road that connects Kallar Kahar to Choa Saidan Shah near the village of Dulmial. The temple’s pond is said in the Puranas to have been created from the teardrops of Shiva after he wandered the Earth inconsolable after the death of his wife Sati. The pond occupies an area of two canals and 15 marlas, with a maximum depth of 20 feet.

null

Khair Garh Fort

Situated in the Bahawalpur District, it was built by Ikhtiayar Khan in 1775. It is a mud and brunt-brick structure which is 170 feet high on the inside with octagonal bastions. The fortification wall is 8 feet thick and 24 feet high. It has an intricate gateway in the eastern wall and an ancient brick-lined well can be found outside near the fort.

null

Khaplu Palace

Khaplu Palace, locally known as Yabgo Khar, is an old fort and palace located in Khaplu, in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of northern Pakistan. The palace, considered an architectural heritage and a tourist attraction, was built in the mid-19th century, replacing an earlier fort located nearby. It served as a royal residence for the Raja of Khaplu. From 2005 to 2011 the palace, having earlier stood in vulnerable conditions, underwent a restoration project carried out by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture under the Aga Khan Historic Cities Programme. The palace now houses a hotel operated by Serena and a museum depicting the history and culture of Baltistan.

null

Kharpocho Fort

Skardu Fort or Kharpocho means The king of Forts is a fort in Skardu city in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. Australian mountaineer and filmmaker Greg Child write that the fort is “perched above the junction of the rivers” and overlooks the Rock of Skardu. The fort was originally the residence of the Rajas of Skardu who find their descent from a fakir. The fort was built by king Ali Sher at the end of the sixteenth century. General Zorawar Singh of the Dogra Rajput clan working under Maharaja Gulab Singh realized the importance of the fort’s location in the town and so he occupied the fort. It was part of his many military campaigns to annex the areas of Baltistan to the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir. The fort was razed to the ground in 1857 under the guidance of Ranbir Singh. Mughal emperor Aurangzeb also tried to occupy the fort, which went in vain.

null

Kot Diji Fort

Kot Diji Fort is also known as Fort Ahmadabad. It is located in the town of Kot Diji, in the district of Khairpur. It served as a residency for the rulers of Khairpur in times of peace and was built in the 18th century by the founder of the Kingdom of Upper Sindh. The fort has been constructed with kiln-baked bricks on a limestone hill. The bricks were a more strategic choice by the builders as the local limestone was too brittle to withstand an attack by opposing forces. Despite these considerations and the fact that the rulers moved to another safe location during wartime as a precautionary measure, throughout the entire course of history, Fort Kot Diji has never once been attacked.

null

Lahore Fort

Lahore Fort was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1981. It is also called Shahi Qilla. The original builders of the fort remain unknown but the existing base structure was built during the reign of Mughal Emperor Akbar in the 16th or 17th centuries. Further additions took place as Muslim, Sikh, and British rulers came and left in the area. The fort consists of two sections. The first of these contains gardens and the Diwan-e-Khas, led to by the main entrances. This served the administrative purposes of the court. Another part of the fort contains the Sheesh Mahal, the palace of mirrors. The walls of the fort are adorned with blue Persian Kashi tiles, and there are also rooms for residential purposes.

null

Malakand Fort

Malakand Fort guards the road at the top of the pass. On the other side of the pass, the road descends through the market town of Batkhela, with a Hindu Shahi fort perched above it, and continues past the headworks of the Swat Canal to the Swat River. The first bridge across the river is at Chakdara, which carries the road to Lower Dir and Chitral. There was a battle at the pass during the Chitral Expedition. The fort was also the residence of Mughal prince Rafi-ush-Shan the son of emperor Bahadur Shah the First and grandson of Emperor Aurangzeb.

null

Malot Fort

Malot is a village of Chakwal District in the Punjab Province of Pakistan. It is part of Kalarkahar and is located at 32°41’0N 72°48’E lying to the west of Kallar Kahar with an altitude of 230 meters. A village with the same name also exists at 32°41’18.4″N 72°48’01.6″E near the Malot Fort.

null

Mankera Fort

Mankera fort, the principal feature of the town lies half a kilometer to the left of the Bhakkar highway. The fort was constructed in two phases. The initial construction of the brick fort was carried out during the time of the Baloch rule, and further fortification in the form of a thick mud wall was undertaken during the Pathan rule. Today the fort and its fortification are mostly in ruins. The major part of the mud wall still exists, however, decay and neglect are abundantly clear. The main fort is mostly in ruins except for a well, a tomb, and a few signs of masonry. The outer walls of the citadel are however intact. During the dying days of the Mughal empire, Mankera’s Saddo Zai rulers with the help of their Abdali benefactors emerged as a force to reckon with within this area. Mankera was the seat of their dominions. Nowadays the Tomb of Mankera is not in good condition and is broken at all the places and the walls.

null

Marot Fort

The place where it was built was supposed to be an ancient site founded by one of the rulers of Chittor during pre-Islamic times. It consisted of some religious shrines and the temple of Jains. Some intricate pillars of yellow sandstone with extensive carvings can give you an understanding of the former grandeur of these shrines.

null

Mastuj Fort

The Mastuj Fort is a fortification in Mastuj city, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. The fort is situated on a plateau at the confluence of the Yarkhun River and the Mastuj River near Shandur Pass. The fort is believed to be built by Katoor Dynasty in the 18th century in around 1780 with a couple of rebuilds in the 1830 and 1920s.

null

Mir Chakar Khan Fort

Pakistan is lucky to have a number of historical forts in its different places. Mir Chakar Khan Fort is one of the historical and famous forts of the 15th century and it is situated in Sibi, Balochistan. It’s named after the Baloch Sardar “Chakar-i-Azam” the great Mir Chakar Khan. He is remembered as a Baloch Hero who defeated Lashari Tribe after the war which lasted thirty years. After that victory, he went to lead a war against King Sher Shah Suri of Afghanistan. Mir Chakar Fort is now one of the famous historical tourist destinations in Sibi.

null

Mir Garh Fort

It took Nur Muhammad Khan three years to build it (1796-99). He was the disciple of Gilani Makhdoom of Uchh. It is made of brunt-bricks, rising to 92 feet on all sides having seven bastions. A detailed entrance can be found on the eastern side, with a 47 feet long passage bordered by domed rooms on the side. It had six wells on the outside.

null

Miran Shah Fort

Miramshah was named after the Timurid ruler, Miran Shah, the son of Timur. In 1905, the British constructed Miramshah Fort to control North Waziristan. In the early 1950s, the Pakistan Air Force and the “Tochi Scouts” of Pakistan’s paramilitary Frontier Corps carried out counter-insurgency operations from Miramshah Airfield and Miramshah Fort against the insurgency fomented by the rebellious General Shudikhel Dawar and Mirzali Khan. In the 1950s, Miramshah was also the site of a weapons firing range of the PAF, which was located next to the Miramshah Airfield.

null

Mohatta Palace

The Mohatta Palace is located in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. It was built by Shivratan Chandraratan Mohatta, a Hindu Marwari businessman from modern-day Rajasthan in India, as his summer home in 1927. The architect of the palace was Agha Ahmed Hussain. However, Mohatta could enjoy this building for only about two decades before independence in 1947, after which he left Karachi for India. He built the Palace in the tradition of stone palaces in Rajasthan, using pink Jodhpur stone in combination with the local yellow stone from Gizri. The amalgam gave the palace a distinctive presence in an elegant neighborhood, characterized by Indo-Saracenic architecture which was located not far from the sea.

null

Moj Garh Fort

Muhammad Maruf Khan began building it in 1743. It was completed by his son Jan Muhammad Khan and his successor Umar Khan in 1757. It has semi-circular bastions, eight each on the north, south, and west. The eastern side has a detailed and arched gateway which is 10 feet wide. There is a mosque nearby too.

null

Multan Fort

The Multan Fort, a military installation, was a landmark of South Asian defense and architecture. According to some estimates, the original fort was built between 800 and 1000 B.C. It was built near the city of Multan by the Katoch dynasty, in Punjab province, on a hillock separated from the city by the Ravi River. The fort was destroyed by British forces during the British occupation of India. The fort was notable for both its effectiveness as a defense installation and for its architecture. Contemporary reports put the walls of the fort at 40 to 70 feet high and 6,800 feet in circumference. The fort’s 46 bastions included two flanking towers at each of the four gates. A ditch 25 feet deep and 40 feet wide and an 18-foot glacis protected the fort from intruders.

null

Nagar Fort

Nagar Fort, at Nagar, is situated near Chitral Valley, on the way from Chitral to Lowari. It was built on the orders of the then Mehtar of Chitral, Shuja ul Mulk. It was constructed originally as a winter resort for the Mehtar as it is in an area that is relatively warmer than other parts of Chitral.

null

Nandana Fort

Nandana Fort is about 1000 years old and is also the site from where Al-Beruni made an estimate of the earth’s radius in the year 1100. It was ruled by the Hindu Shahi kings until, in the early 11th century, Mahmud of Ghazni expelled them from Nandana. Nandana is located in Tehsil Pind Dadan Khan. Take an exit from the Lilla Interchange on M2 and travels towards Jhelum. From the Dharyala Jalap, which is 45 kilometers from the M2. So if you have any interest in history or just want to explore the beauty of the Salt Range and have an interest in hiking and trekking, do visit this place.

null

Naukot Fort

Naukot fort is situated about 1½ mile from the Naukot town, which lies on edge of the desert in District Thar. The fort is said to have been constructed by Mir Karam Ali Khan Talpur in 1814 A.D. it is roughly square in plan measuring 640×600 feet. The fortification wall of the fort which gives a tapered look has been built of baked bricks laid in mud mortar. On the southeast corner, there exists an arched gateway flanked by semi-circular bastions hiding the main entrance. The fort was used by Talpur Mirs as a stronghold cum-residence. Inside the fort, there are some structural in collapsed shape. Most probably these buildings were used as residences and a few of them for imprisoning the prisoners.

null

Nawan Kot Fort

It is a mud-brick structure with four corner bastions, it rises up to 156 feet.

null

Noor Mahal

Noor Mahal the Italian-style palace of the fifth ruler of Bahawalpur State, Nawab Sir Muhammad Sadiq, is the latest monument in Punjab to be notified under the Antiquities Act. Completed in AD 1875, one of the most exquisite buildings in the state, Noor Mahal was meant for the residence of the Nawab. He, however, did not live here for a single day after being cautioned against doing so on account of its proximity to the Basti Muluk Shah graveyard.

null

Pacco Qillo

Pacco Qillo, or Pakka Qilla, is an early modern fortification in Hyderabad, Pakistan. The Fort was constructed on the hillock, known locally as Gunjy, by Mian Ghulam Shah Kalhoro around 1768 when he founded the city of Hyderabad. The Fort, slightly oblong in shape, covers 30 acres of land. Its fortification wall, running along the contours of the hillock, is imposing with burnt bricks and decorated with ornamental ‘kangaroos’ of an odd shape. There is only one main entrance, opening in the north towards Shahi Bazar. A small enclave near the main gate towards the north is the only area where the few historical buildings still stand to tell the tale of the Fort’s past glory. In the northwest corner of this complex lies the Mirs haram, built on a 7.5m high solidly built podium, the interior is profusely decorated with fresco paintings. It has five large halls towards the east. This was the place where Mir’s treasury was located.

null

Pharwala Fort

Pharwala Fort was built in the 15th century, it is located about 40 km from Rawalpindi in Punjab, Pakistan. The fort was built by the Gakhars in the 15th century. The Mughal Emperor Babur conquered the fort in 1519, however after the Mughals reconciled with the Gakhars the fort was returned to the Gakhars. A small community of Gakhars still lives inside the fort these days. An old and huge Banyan tree is also found inside the fort. There is no road to the fort, you have to cross the river on foot.

null

Punnu Fort

The ruins of Punnu Fort have sited about 15km from Turbat, a city in the southern part of Balochistan. According to archaeologists, Punnu Fort could date back to 6000-8000 BC. Punnu was a local prince of this area who was port of the “Sassi Punnu” romance which is famous in Makran and Sindh yet, even; thousands of years have been passed. Sassi Punnu’s love is one of the seven popular tragic romances from Sindh and Balochistan. The fort looks like it would have been small and possibly made of mud and stones. There are vantage points where one could see quite a distance across Turbats plains to the Makran mountain ranges. The remains of Punnu Fort, surrounded by date trees on high ground can be a good picnic point in nice weather.

null

Qasim Fort

The Qasim Fort is a small fort constructed in the 18th century by the Talpur dynasty when the port of Karachi traded with Oman and Bahrain. The fort was stormed by the British in 1839 because of the strategic location of Karachi. Although it is now buried beneath the naval base there, the lighthouse is a visible reminder of the British presence, having been built in 1889 to assist vessels approaching Karachi harbor. The history of modern-day Karachi begins with this fort. On 1 February 1839 a British ship, the Wellesley, anchored off the island of Manora. By 3 February, the fort at Kolachi had surrendered without firing a single shot and this small fishing village reached a turning point in its history.

null

Qila Ladgasht

Qila Ladgasht is a small town located in Mashkel tehsil in Kharan District, Balochistan, Pakistan. The population of Kharan district was estimated to be over 250,000 in 2005. Over 99% of the people in the area are Muslims. The main Baloch tribes of the district are Nosherwani and Mengal. The Nausherwani tombs are located near Qila Ladgasht.

null

Qila Miri

It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus Page Maker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

null

Quetta Fort

Sandeman Fort is also called Quetta Fort and dates back to the times of the British Raj in the subcontinent. It was part of the process of making Quetta into a military town and a stronghold of the British in those tumultuous times, due to its location close to Afghanistan where the British interest was. The fort is named after Robert Sandeman, who was a political agent of the British sent to administer Balochistan after the Khans of Killat officially lost control of the region in the 19th century.

null

Ramkot Fort

Ramkot Fort is one of the oldest and historic fort of Pakistan which is situated in Azad Kashmir, Pakistan. It’s one of the famous landmarks of Azad Kashmir. RamKot Fort is surrounded by water and it can be accessed through the boat, and it is just 13Km away from Dina. It is believed that the Ramkot fort was constructed by the Muslim rulers of Kashmir between the 16th and 17th centuries. It’s a beautiful fort the bluish background of the fort provides an attractive view from the top.

null

Ranikot Fort

Ranikot Fort is located in the district of Jamshoro District, Sindh. The architects of this fort remain unknown, but its origin can be dated back to the 17th century, though additions were made in the 19th century. It is referred to as The Great Wall of Sindh and its circumference of 26 km makes it the world’s largest fort. The whole fort has been constructed with the help of stone and lime. A small fortress, a few miles from the main gate, is speculated to have served as the royal residence for the ruling family of Mirs. It has been on the tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1993.

null

Rawat Fort

Rawat Fort is located in Pothohar Pakistan. The fort was built in the early 16th century by Gakhars, a designated warrior clan raised by local tribes to defend the Pothohar plateau. The grave of the Gakkar chief, Sultan Sarang Khan is present within the fort. It is 17 km east of Rawalpindi on Grand Trunk Road. The fort was the scene of a battle between the Gakhar chief Sultan Sarang and Afghan king Sher Shah Suri in 1546 AD. The fort is almost in square form and has two gates. It contains a mosque made up of three big dome-shaped rooms. There is also a quadrangular building with a dome. Along the wall, there are additional small rooms. In the center of the fort, there are many graves. Among them is the tomb of Sultan Sarang Khan. His 16 sons, who died there fighting, are also buried inside the fort. Mankiala stupa can be seen from the roof of the mosque as it is a few kilometers from here.

null

Red Fort

Red Fort or commonly known as Muzaffarabad Fort is one of the oldest forts in Pakistan. It was constructed in the 16th century by Chak rulers of Kashmir. It is believed that the Red Fort was constructed by Sultan Muzaffar Khan in 1646. The architecture of the red fort represents that the great experts in design and structure participated in its construction. The fort itself is an inspiration to the architects of today and teaches them many things on how to build a strong and sound structure.

null

Rohtas Fort

Rohtas fort was built in the 16th century on the orders of Sher Shah Suri, mainly to keep in check the rebel tribes of the times. It is located near the city of Jhelum, on the Grand Trunk Road between the mountains of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and the flatlands of Punjab. It was designated a World Heritage Site in 1997. It is also built in an Afghan-Persian architectural style and is a shining model of Muslim military architectural expertise.

null

Sadiq Garh Palace

This magnificent palace is located in a lost county of Dera Nawab Sahib, in Bhawalpur district. Once a headquarters of one of the richest princely states; today is hidden in the political & public negligence. The Sadiq Garh palace was constructed in 1882 by the ruler of Bhawalpur Nawab Sadiq Muhammad Khan with a total expenditure of 15 Lac rupees. It is said to be designed by Italian architects.

null

Sangni Fort

Sangni Fort also known as Sanghani Killa is a fort of the Sikh Period in the village Takal in Tehsil Kallar Syedan, district Rawalpindi in Punjab, Pakistan. The fort was probably built in the Sikh Period. This area came under Sandhawalia Jat ruler Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1814. The Fort was built to control the area and to facilitate tax collection. The British made this area part of the Bewal Tehsil Gujar Khan Rawalpindi district. Gradually the fort lost its importance and became obscure. The keepers of a nearby obscure shrine moved the shrine to this fort. The fort is in good condition with intact walls but the inside is altered and decorated due to the presence of the shrine of Sahibzada Abdul Hakeem.

null

Satghara Fort

Satghara, is a town and union council of Okara District in the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is located at 30°55’0N 73°31’0E with an altitude of 164 meters and is also the location of the tomb of Baloch folk hero, Mir Chakar Rind. Many of his descendants as well as sub-tribes of Baloch descent predominate in the district. More than half of the town is inhabited by Syeds. They also have a family graveyard where many great spiritual leaders including Syed Qaim Ali Shah Gilani who was also known as Pir Bodian Wala he was head of this lineage of the descendants of Abdul Qadir Gilani of Baghdad Sharif in Satghara, Syed Ahmed Shah Gilani who was later known as Pir Bodian Wala was the eldest son, Syed Shams-Ud-Din Gilani, Syed Fateh Ali Shah Gilani, Syed Mubarik Ali Shah Gilani, Syed Ahmed Ali Shah Gilani, Syed Jaffar Hussain Gilani, Syed Ali Bahadur Gilani, Syed Sher Shah Gilani, and Syed Khadim Hussain Gilani are lying in peace. Their shrines are built in the graveyard and are visible even from a great distance.

null

Sehwan Fort

Sehwan Fort is located at Sehwan in Sindh. The Fort is said to have been built by Alexander the Great and, hence, is also sometimes known as Alexander’s Fort in Sehwan. It has massive brickwork like that of Kalankot Fort in Thatta. Sehwan is situated on the right bank of River Indus at a distance of 135 km from Hyderabad. It is an old town of the pre-Islamic period.

null

Sharda Castle

In Sharda, one also finds ruins of an old Buddhist Monastery and a fort which are of historical background. Facilities of a small bazaar, Post office, health center. The AJK Tourism Department has established here a “Tourist Village” consisting of Tourist Rest Houses, Youth Hostels, Cafeteria and Games room to facilitate the tourists while dozens of private guests’ houses are also offered accommodation and other services. The boating facility is also obtainable here on the river Neelum.

null

Sheikhupura Fort

Sheikhupura Fort was built in the year 1607 in the Mughal era. It is situated in the city of Sheikhupura in Punjab, Pakistan. This beautiful fort was designed by Sikander Moeen and built during the reign of Emperor Jahangir. The Sheikhupura Fort was then modified in the Sikh era, with numerous buildings constructed.

null

Shigar Fort

Shigar Fort locally known as Fong Khar, which is a local baltic language means the palace on rocks. It was built by Hassan Khan, the 20th ruler of the Amacha Dynasty, in the early 17th century. The Amacha family has ruled Shigar for thirty-three generations, with origins in the “Hamacha” tribe of Ganish, Hunza. When the Hamacha tribe was massacred in Hunza, a few of its members managed to flee to Shigar across the Hispar glacial pass, where they gained power and were recognized as the Amacha Dynasty in the 13th century.

null

Sialkot Fort

The city of Sialkot, which is one of the oldest cities of Pakistan, has historical significance due to the Fort, The well-known historian, Diayas Jee, has stated that Raja Salban re-established Sialkot city around the 2nd century CE. and ruled over the area between the rivers Ravi and Chenab. Salban built the Sialkot Fort for the defense of the city. Raja Salban, supposedly, used more than 10,000 laborers and masons for the repair and extension of the Fort with huge stone slabs and rocks which were brought to the location from Pathankot.

null

Sibi Fort

The Sibi Fort is situated in Sibi city of Balochistan Province, Pakistan. The Sibi was a popular place of the Chachnama that King Chach defeated Sewas, pushing them out of this place to capture Sibi Fort. The Hindu rulers Sewas had kept this for some time but lost to king Chach in 550 A.D. The Brahman rule continued here till the early part of the eighth century A.D. When the young Arab general conquered the whole of these areas, In the 11th century Sibi was included in Ghaznavid Empire. The Muslim rule remained included in the Suba Multan under Nasir ul din Kabocha.

null

Takht-i-Bahi

Takht-i-Bahi, commonly mispronounced as Takht-i-Bhai, is an Indo-Parthian archaeological site of an ancient Buddhist monastery in Mardan, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. The site is considered among the most imposing relics of Buddhism in all of Gandhara, and has been “exceptionally well-preserved.” The Buddhist monastery was founded in the 1st century CE and was in use until the 7th century. The complex is regarded by archaeologists as being particularly representative of the architecture of Buddhist monastic centers from its era. Takht-i-Bahi was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1980.

null

Throtchi Castle

Adjoining Gulpur is Throtchi, famous for its castle that was built in 1460. Gulpur is a town in Kotli District, Azad Kashmir. It is located southwest of Kotli City at the junction of the Kotli-Mirpur and Kotli-Rawalpindi road.

null

Umerkot Fort

Umerkot, the fort of Umer as it means was found by Umer, the first king of the Soomro dynasty (1050-1350) A.D. the town has a conspicuous fort which was perhaps built by one of the Soomra rulers. In the first half of the 13th century, the fort was occupied by the Rajput ruler named Perma Sodha, whose successors held it for centuries. Rana Parshad one of the rulers of that dynasty played host to Humayun and his contingent on his way to Persia. Kalhoras took possession of Umerkot but one of the rulers of this dynasty sold it to the Raja of Jodhpur. When Talpurs came to power, they recovered it in 1813 A.D. it remained in their possession till the British occupied Sindh.

null

Zhob Fort

Zhob, formerly known as Fort Sandeman or Appozai, is a city and district capital of Zhob District in the Balochistan province of Pakistan. Zhob has located on the banks of Zhob River 337 km from Quetta, the capital of Balochistan. The city was originally named Appozai after a nearby village. During the British colonial era, it was named Fort Sandeman. It obtained its current name on 30 July 1976 when the then Prime Minister of Pakistan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto had the name changed.